Watch the transformation of an MCR - our mid-century ranch

Watch the transformation of an MCR - our mid-century ranch
Built in 1957 as the model home for the development. 1796 sqft, 3 bedroom, 2 bath.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Greetings and Salutations

The house is now officially ours! Sorry for the delay. We had a bit of a paperwork snafu and had to close a day later than planned. The paperwork wasn't our fault but it put a lot of stress and strain on the whole situation. But now that is all in the past.

Sorry for the delay in posting as well. The internet guy doesn't come until Sept 7th which seems like a ridiculously long time. So I have borrowed K's laptop and I am writing from my neighborhood Starbucks catching up on emails and posts and whatnot.

We are in our space. Our belonging are all sequestered somewhere in the USA as they have not arrived yet from our trip back east. This too seems to be a long wait; I cannot really do much. All my tools - my entire studios setup - is on the truck and unavailable. So K and I are left to loafing like a couple of junkies on an air mattress in the den with the TV at the foot of the bed. It is a sad scene really. The cats are adjusting slowly.

So I spend a lot of time walking around the house familiarizing myself with all the dings and cracks and problem situations that I find that will eventually have to be addressed. There are a lot of cutesy country light switches that need to be dealt with. In fact all the light switches and sockets must be changed out completely as they are all that awful tan color and all the sockets are the two prong type that need to be swapped out for the grounded three prong variety. I sense a great deal of re-wiring in my future. All 29 sockets must be changed and I can't remember how many light switches not to mention ceiling fans that must go and other lighting issues.

The more we look the more we see things that have to be addressed. Now would be the best time to work on the house as it is essentially empty. But I have no tools to deal with the situation. Also - even more frightening - is that I find that in all my inactivity over the last few weeks/months I have grown exceedingly lazy. Now I have never been one to bound out of bed at 6am and grab a socket wrench and greet the day with a major home improvement project. No matter how much I would like to be that guy I never have been that guy. I like to tell myself that I could become that guy. It takes two weeks to form a habit but only two days to break on. We are all fighting an uphill battle there.

I will try to post more and once my studio is set up I can easily post some photos and share some thoughts - especially about the wall colors that are already up. More on that in my next post.
C

No comments:

Post a Comment