Watch the transformation of an MCR - our mid-century ranch

Watch the transformation of an MCR - our mid-century ranch
Built in 1957 as the model home for the development. 1796 sqft, 3 bedroom, 2 bath.

Monday, March 11, 2013

Thrift Log


We had some great luck at a couple estate sales and some thrift stores this weekend! The two little planters, both made in Japan, the Heath mug, and a couple of the books came from the thrifts. I may or may not keep the planters (I recently bought some more succulents and they do fit so nicely....), but the Hare Krishna vegetarian cookbook is a keeper for sure. C's sister and her family gave us a very generous gift certificate for our local Hare Krishna buffet (so good!) and once it runs out I'll be glad I have this book. The mug had some marks on it that didn't rub off easily at the store, but for 60 cents I decided to pick it up anyway and it cleaned up nicely with a little scrubbing. I can't find this exact mug online, so I don't know how old it is, but I look forward to drinking tea from it.  The children's books have wonderful illustrations, and all are from the Weekly Reader Book Club in 1961. They're destined for the shop after I read them.


C spotted SIX of these fabulous glasses at the thrift store and they are in perfect condition. We also went to two estate sales - the first looked like our kind of sale, a 1950s house with  lots of stuff in the pictures online. And it was fine - but not great. I was, however, happy to pick up a couple stocking stuffers for one of my sisters and a new case for my glasses. The glasses case is actually very exciting (for me!) - mine was completely falling apart. While we were checking out at that sale, we saw a sign by the register saying that there was another sale in the neighborhood. We headed over there and were not thrilled to pull up in front of a giant new build, as they usually tend to have newer things, and higher prices.  But it was awesome! I got several things for the shop: purses, sweaters, and several housewares, as well as this awesome horse head table lighter, made in Japan. When I first spotted it in the dark, completely packed garage I thought it was a lone bookend so I passed it by. It drew me back though, and upon closer inspection I discovered it was a table lighter and I was even happier to discover it was in perfect shape. 

I'm excited to link up with Sir Thriftalot's Thriftasaurus, where folks share their thrifty finds!





 

1 comment: